Cyber Security in the era of Internet-of-things is a changing paradigm. According to recent study by Gartner, more than half of major new business processes and systems will include an IoT component by 2020. Cisco speculates that more than 50 billion connected devices will exist by 2020 which will definitely make our lives easier in some way or another but this calls for far more strong security measure as with more connected devices comes more number of attack vectors.
The IoT world is expanding like never before:
- Smart Life: Healthcare, consumer businesses, banking etc.
- Smart mobility: Urban mobility, distribution and logistics, self-driving cars etc.
- Smart cities: City planning, security devices, network utilities etc.
- Smart Manufacturing: Machine communication, Optimization processes etc. everything is driven by data analysis and decision making. These systems can gather huge quantities of sensitive information which makes it even more value. With the amount of data being processed the security is imperative.
Things you should know to better secure IoT devices.
- Follow the book: The basics of cyber security requires to patch regularly. To secure so many device’s is a big task. Hence implementing security patches in a timely manner is essential to security. The development opens up different channels of getting the devices connected and hence needs regular security update as well.
- An enterprise is at risk, so it is not only the CIO’s responsibility to keep the organization safe. Institutions to tune of government bodies must see and acknowledge the importance of securing the system. For eg: UIDAI has witnessed multiple data leaks in the past and given its multi-faceted usage in government schemes, security must be implemented on an enterprise level.
- Detailed network access policies. Given the number of devices, it is imperative that strong protocols are maintained on what information is accessible via which device. Granular enforcement can keep the access to sensitive data limited and controlled.
- Network segmentation and dynamic traffic: IoT device types, transport protocols will call for network segmentation policies. Thousands of dynamically configured network segments will co-exist.
It is inevitable that IoT devices will subside in anytime soon. With ever growing number, cyber security must be addressed with utmost care. We, at Logix Infosecurity, deploy best platforms to keep your systems up and running. Cyber security is core of our operations and we understand the need of the changing times.